Let’s go in reverse chronological order. I’m sitting in my parents’ family room with my parents, my grandma, and my cousin. We’re watching Monday Night Football. Well, they are.
Before this, I took a long, luxurious nap.
Before that, I ate a bean, cheese, rice and salsa burrito from my favorite Mexican place, Las Golondrinas.
Before that, I went on a hot, quite uphill 5-mile hike with my dad and cousin at Caspers Wilderness Park off the Ortega Highway.
About a week before that, I made vegetarian chili.
I improvised this one. Let me share it with you.
- 1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can corn (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 can veggie broth (I know, I’m sorry. But more than this and it’ll be too soupy. Maybe you can leave it out.)
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 8 button, cremini, or baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 or 2 tsp cumin, depending on your tastes
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T Olive oil