Well, I have 3 days of school and another birthday under my belt. Tomorrow I have to start sticking to my study schedule. I also start my new internship tomorrow! I am a little nervous (naturally), but not too nervous because I’ll be at Chapman again. Leatherby Libraries was my home away from home during college, and I’m excited to be on the other side now.
Amidst all the commotion these past few weeks, I’ve been able to do some reflecting on last year so that I can be better prepared to take on schoolwork this year. Here are some of the things I have or should have in my arsenal:
- Ginger Tea. I have been known to become so stressed that I make myself physically ill. Ginger tea helps tremendously.
- Ibuprofen. Staring at the computer for long periods of time gives me headaches.
- Healthy snacks. Sometimes, stress makes me want to eat. I like carrot sticks and hummus or apples and peanut butter.
- Two calendars. iCal has a great color-coding feature and task lists, but I like having a backup weekly planner in paper form for looking at things on the go, and to have if my laptop gets lost, stolen, or dies.
- USB drive.
- Legal pad or composition book. Sometimes, inspiration hits me when I’m not near my laptop. I’ll be taking a notebook to take notes on the first day of my internship tomorrow.
- Evernote. Helps organize thoughts and content from the Web.
- An internship or volunteer position. Check, double check.
- Short yoga workouts. Going to school full time online does not lend itself to good posture. I really need to work on that this school year.
- Post-it flags. For marking my readings without ruining my books. This usually translates into a better resale value. I use half.com to sell the textbooks I don’t want anymore and buy used books each semester.
- A de.licio.us account. Social bookmarking site that allows me to access my bookmarks on any computer. I don’t really use the social features.
- A PBWorks account. I use this to create a portfolio of all of my school and extracurricular work. It comes in handy when tailoring my resume to highlight certain activities. I just copy and paste the info I need from pbworks onto my resume.
- More “outside” clothes in my wardrobe than sweatpants. Still working on it…my “outside clothes” are starting to look a little weary, too.
- LeechBlock. My favorite time management/productivity tool on the Web.
- A newspaper subscription, Google News, and a radio set to my local NPR stations. News stories make for great icebreakers. I like reading the paper at the gym and listening to KPCC and KCRW on the way to the Garden library since my commute is so long.
- Google Reader. For keeping up with blogs, job openings, and upcoming professional association events. I’m so addicted to mine that I added it to LeechBlock.
- A list of goals to accomplish this semester. I am making one that I plan to put at eye level above my desk.
- An organized desktop. Both physical and virtual.
- Printouts of my greensheets. I like writing notes on them and checking off finished assignments.
- Career guidance books. To help alleviate my fear of adulthood sometimes.
It’s Sunday night. Forget about tomorrow and listen to The Temper Trap perform “Love Lost”. Be blown away by their ability to fill a room with such glorious sounds.